Court baked this for her Mum’s 50th and it was sooo bloody good. She doubled the following recipe adapted from the Australian Women’s Weekly Classic Cakes recipe book. It makes a fair bit of icing (because cream cheese icing is to die for), so feel free to halve the ingredients if it’s not your thing.
- 1 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups firmly packed, coarsely grated carrots (about 4 carrots)
- 2 1/2 cups wholegrain rye flour
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp bi carb soda
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 60g butter, softened
- 160g cream cheese, softened
- 2 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 3 cups of icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius and grease and line a 22 cm round cake pan
- Beat oil, sugar and eggs until a little creamy, stir in carrots, nuts and dry ingredients
- Pour mixture into pan, bake for just over an hour. Leave the cake in pan for 5 minutes and then turn onto wire rack to cool.
- Make the lemon cream cheese icing by beating the butter, cream cheese and rind until light and fluffy, then gradually beat in the icing sugar.