Courtney has grown a little obsessed with Julia Ostro’s recipes lately. The recipe for these little guys has been adapted from Ostro’s Spiced Pumpkin Cake. With a pumpkin surplus at Woodstock, it’s a great winter treat.
- 350g pumpkin, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 1/2tsp ground cinnamon
- 125ml extra virgin olive oil, plus 1-2tbsp extra for roasting
- 90g brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 250g wholegrain rye flour
- 1 cup chopped dates, presoaked in hot water
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 180C. Arrange the pumpkin on a baking tray and sprinkle over the cinnamon and drizzle with the olive oil. Make sure the pumpkin is well coated. Roast for 30-35 minutes or until soft and caramelised. Set aside to cool then mash with a fork until smooth.
- Grease or line the muffin tin.
- In a bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, eggs and vanilla until a little creamy. Pour in the olive oil and combine. Stir in the cooled mashed pumpkin. Add the rye flour, baking powder, dates and spices and stir until everything is incorporated.
- Spoon into the muffin tin and bake until golden (half an hour, more or less). Turn onto a rack to cool and enjoy!