This recipe has been adapted from an Annabel Crabb biscuit recipe, a favourite of Jenny’s. The original calls for dried apricots, macadamias and no cocoa. The biscuit barrel is always full of these at Woodstock.
- 290g wholegrain rye flour
- 25g natural cocoa
- 3 tsps baking powder
- 175g unsalted butter
- 200g brown sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 125g dates, chopped
- 120g almonds, chopped
- 60g dark chocolate, chopped
- Melt the butter and brown sugar together in a small saucepan and put aside to cool.
- Combine flour, cocoa and baking powder in a large bowl. Stir in the butter and brown sugar mixture. Add the beaten eggs, vanilla, dates, almonds and chocolate.
- Cover and rest the dough for at least 10 minutes. Preheat the oven to 180c.
- Line two trays with baking paper, scoop out the mixture into 3cm balls and press them down with a fork. Bake for about 10-12 minutes. Enjoy!